Sunday, April 18, 2010

So over a month ago...

I know this is way after the fact and as such I don't remember all the details and will just briefly mention my week and weekend with Sarah and Hanna.

Two posts ago was when they first arrived. As mentioned it was Sarah's birthday the day they arrived. We went to dinner for her birthday in a cute restaurant in Trestevere and had amazing tiramisu. We then walked around the Colosseum and Trevi Fountain and things to see them lit up. And of course got gelato.

The next few days included seeing all the major sights of Rome. Some of which they did on their own since I had class and some of the things I did with them included St. Peter's Basilica which is so huge and so gorgeous. (A little too ornate at times, but shhh I didn't say that.) We also climbed the dome and saw out over Rome (if you haven't noticed I love getting good views out over cities). We also did the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill (we tried to get a tour and it was a major fail...)

They then went off to Florence and I met them Friday. Since I had seen all the sights I had wanted to see there I sent them to do all of those before I got there. Then we focused on the leather markets. I had absolutely no intention of buying a leather jacket. But guess what I ended up with? A leather jacket. That I have actually worn a lot. I never imagined myself wearing a leather jacket, but when in Rome, right?

Saturday, we took a train to Cinque Terre and spent a large portion of the day hiking the trail by the water. unfortunately the train between the third and fifth town was closed so we only got to hike half of it. It was breath taking-ly gorgeous and the weather was absolutely perfect. Sunny as could be and not too hot for hiking.

The next day, since some annoying woman told us that the trails were closed on Sunday (so false!) we took the train to the fifth town which is the only one that has a beach and walked around a bit and ate gelato on the beach. It was perfect! And since Cinque Terre is in teh Ligurian region of Italy which is the one were pesto is from and pine nuts they had pine nut flavored gelato that was delicious.

That pretty much wrapped up my time with Sarah and Hanna. We took a train back to Rome and they were off to the airport extremely early on Monday morning. I had such a great time with them and am so happy that they could come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment