Friday, April 23, 2010

Easter Weekend in Dublin!

So for Easter I decided to leave the Catholic capital and head to Dublin. Another place that I have always wanted to go!

I went with one other girl and we ended up having three full days there. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Saturday and Monday were spent seeing the sights of Dublin while Sunday was spent on a day bus tour to the Wicklow Mountains.

Since I am so far behind on postings I am just going to give a brief over view of some of the things we did. We took a tour of Trinity College and saw the Book of Kells, we saw St. Patrick's Church, Christ's Cathedral, took a tour of Dublin Castle, took a tour of Kilmainham Gaol, went to the Guiness Storehouse (and the best part was definitely the top bar which is really high and completely glass windows all the way around so you can see out over all of Dublin), we walked thought part of Phoenix Park, and just walked around and possibly something I forgot to mention. So that pretty much sums up Saturday and Monday.


Sunday on the bus tour we basically just went and stopped at different places to get out look around and take pictures. We also stopped for food which I will mention a bit more about in a minute, and took a half an hour walk down a nature path near some small lakes that was gorgeous. And we got a small tour of a monastery. It was a very good tour and absolutely gorgeous.

I tried to eat some more Irish type foods and such since they are SO different from Italian cuisine. I have some Beef Stew, Cottage Pie (which makes that weekend probably the most red meat that I have eaten in forever seeing how at home I don't eat red meat and put that on hold for study abroad even though from day to day I still don't really eat much meat) and Fish and Chips (more English but its so close). The food is definitely a lot heavier and heartier than Italian pasta and such (which I should probably talk more about at some point).


My last thing to mention about Dublin is that there is a lot more American feel. Of course it helps that they speak English (extremely strong accent or not) but there is just a more American feel overall, they have Starbucks and such. They have their own fast food restaurants on top of McDonald's and Burger King. And I think that we partisipated in things that were more a kin to being home i the US as opposed to studying abroad in Europe. I actually had some Starbucks, we watched the MSU basketball game (unfortunately we lost...) but watching it makes me really miss MSU and school spirit. I love Rome, but I am not a fan of AUR. And we went to see a movie, Shutter Island (which was extremely creepy but good), since we liked the prospect that all the movies were in English and we didn't have to figure out where they were playing English movies. 


That pretty sums up my weekend in Dublin and I definitely want to spend more time in Ireland at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment