Monday, February 8, 2010

Things to do, Things to see.



I have now been in Rome for about 2 weeks. This time is the transition time from feeling like a tourist, running around to all the major sites, learning the city, learning how to blend in, to being a resident and student in Rome, sure it is only 4 months. But we are living here for that time. This is not just a vacation... which is easy to forget at times.

This city is huge, this city is gorgeous, and this city has so much to see that even with 4 months here I know I will not be able to see all that it has to offer. The question right now however is: What have I seen so far? Well let's start with the main tourist attractions:
Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Colesseum, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Castel Sant'Angelo
A few of these I will get to learn more about in my Art of Rome class so I will be able to tell more about them then.

The Trevi Fountain is, well, GORGEOUS. I saw it in the day, threw coins with my right hand over my left shoulder, one to return to Rome, two for love, and three for marriage or divorce. And, if you ask me the third one is sorta a gamble. But, if I am not married then I would have to get married and then the third coin will have done its job and then the divorce won't happen? Sounds good to me.


 

I also saw the Trevi at night, which is highly recommended.

 

Spanish Steps were cool. I haven't gon up them yet, just went by them briefly.  I also want to go to the world famous best McDonalds in the world which is right by the Spanish Steps. Who thought I would ever want to go to a McDonalds... as far as getting food from there, I'm not sure that I'll go that far.



The Colosseum is so amazing to see and it reminds me of walking around Athens and being on the streets around all the cars and such but then oh, there's the Acropolis that has been there for thousands of years. I have yet to go inside the Colesseum though. But I do that in my class and I will take friends if they come so I don't want to go too many times and pay the 12 euro.
  
  
  

The Colosseum is another site to definitely see at night if you get the chance. 
  
  

Castel Sant'Angelo was SO amazing. One of my roommates and I spent a few hours there. It was one of the bloodiest places in Rome, it had gorgeous rooms that were the apartments and that you unfortunately can not take pictures of which is a shame because they were so gorgeous they gave me goosebumps. And one of the coolest things was when you finally got to the top and went out on the terrace you could see the entire city sprawled out. You could see the Pantheon, Vatican City, and just the immense sprawl of buildings.


  
  

The last one is of Vatican City. St. Peter's on the left and then the walls go out to the right.

The last site that I am going to mention is the Pantheon. I am going to stay brief and give you our Art of Rome class' description of the front and share more when we finish learning about it. I will explain more about this class later because it is going to be one of the most awesome classes I will ever have a chance to take.
"The facade of the Pantheon is a rectangular structure that measures approximately 60 feet tall and 110 feet wide with an isosceles triangular pediment about 20 feet tall. With the rectangle are 8 evenly spaced unfluted columns made of granite marble. 7 of the 8 have Corinthian capitals and the northeast column appears to have a composite capital. Above the capitals is an architrave with remnants of an inscription. A freize with the following inscription: "M AGRIPPA L F COS TERTIVM FECIT." The pediment face is white marble with an innumerable quantity of holes. The above inscription means: Marcus Agrippa during his 3rd counselship made this." And now, if that was too dry, here are some pictures.


  
And even though I didn't "describe" it, here is a picture of the oculus.
 


I was going to continue, but this post is far too long already.
Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment